Historical Background

Shipcarpenter Square was conceived by its original developer, Lewestown Restorations, Inc., a partnership enterprise formed by Jack Vessels and David Dunbar, as a Lewes community of historic homes to be grouped around a grass commons or green. The first historic homes were moved to the community in the early 1980s and consisted mostly of Sussex County colonial style farmhouses constructed from the late 1700’s through the late 1800’s. Some structures were moved to the site more or less intact, and others were dismantled, moved, and then reassembled. Due to their age and deteriorated condition, most homes had their original roofs and siding replaced in
conjunction with their reconstruction. Typically, structural elements, some interior trim details and the original architectural style were preserved. Due to their relatively small size, most of the historic homes had additions built at the time of their original reconstruction. Many have had additions built subsequently, often in conjunction with ownership change.

The Deed Restrictions document ensures the continuing historic character of the community by providing restrictions regarding the use of property and guidelines for making architectural decisions.

Disclaimer:  The materials at this web site, including the informal explanation of Shipcarpenter Square guidelines,
are provided for informational purposes only.